Superintendent Search Service
Superintendent Search Team
John Hefty, Lead Consultant, Superintendent Search Service
Debbie Flynn, Executive Assistant
|| Mary Rubadeau
| John Merriam
| Henry Roman
|| Randy Zila
Finding the right superintendent to lead your school district is one of the most important - and most difficult - tasks for a school board. CASB can help your board make this crucial match.
Why choose CASB to conduct your full search?
CASB's mission is, "Advancing excellence in public education through effective leadership by locally elected boards of education." We help school boards succeed in order that they may help students succeed.
This philosophy is carried throughout all of CASB's member services, including our Superintendent Search Service. If you choose CASB to conduct your search, you are choosing an organization that:
- will work to find the best person to fit your unique school district;
- knows Colorado, its politics and its issues that affect education;
- has a proven track record of conducting more than 120 successful superintendent searches in Colorado in the last 10 years;
- conducts national searches for candidates who meet the district's unique profile;
- is dedicated to the principle of sound local decision making; and
- is committed to the long-term success of your board/superintendent team.
The following beliefs guide CASB's Superintendent Search process:
- Leadership makes a difference in the lives of students and staff in the school district.
- Each school district is unique, and finding the right leadership match is critical.
- A superintendent selection process should provide opportunities to strengthen the relationship between the school district and the community.
In a typical superintendent search project, CASB will:
- Identify and prioritize the board's needs and desires for a new superintendent.
- Engage representative staff and community members in a process to determine their desires for their next school district leader.
- Develop and distribute a promotional brochure about the position and district, and place state and national advertisements.
- Recruit potential candidates based on the profile identified by the board, staff and community.
- Help the board select a third-party committee to screen candidates to ensure a fair process. (CASB staff do not screen candidates but will facilitate screening meetings.)
- Manage application files and correspondence with candidates with strict confidentiality through an online application system.
- Work with the board to set up a complete interview process to guarantee a professional, thorough and legal interview procedure.
- Assist the district in working with the news media during the process.
- Conduct a first-year performance plan session with the superintendent and board after the superintendent is hired.
CASB consultants guide the board through each step of the process“with the ultimate decision made by the board. A typical superintendent search takes three months to complete, but can be shortened and/or modified to meet the special needs of the district.
Here are some testimonials from district's we have conducted searches for recently.
Interim executive search assistance
For a variety of reasons, boards sometimes choose to employ an interim superintendent. CASB is available to assist boards in finding an interim executive who can serve until the board can conduct a full search.
A CASB superintendent search consultant will meet with the board to discuss the process and furnish a list of potential interim candidates. Only meals, mileage and lodging expenses are charged for this single meeting assistance.
If the board requests more assistance with the interim process, CASB charges an hourly fee for this service. However, if the board also uses CASB to conduct a full executive search, the cost of assisting with the interim selection is included.