CASB Board Presidents Listserv
CASB encourages board presidents to use this tool to create rich conversations about school board challenges and successes or to ask questions of each other. If, however, you opt not to participate in these conversations, you may cancel your listserv membership at any time. Below are some helpful tips for using the list.
Receive all listserv exchanges from the last 24 hours in one daily email: Send an email to email@example.com and type set mode digest boardpresidents in the body of the email.
Send an email: To simultaneously send an email to all Colorado school board presidents, just send an email to BoardPresidents@casblist.org.
Respond to an email: It’s just as easy as responding to any other regular email. Just click “Reply” in your email program. However, keep in mind, the message will be emailed to all board presidents.
Unsubscribe from the list: To unsubscribe from this listserv, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and type unsubscribe boardpresidents in the body of the e-mail.
For help: Contact Renee Combs.
School board members often ask CASB to offer more opportunities to share information and challenges with each other. Examples of how we do that include our conferences and the CASB Board Presidents Listserv—at your disposal year-round, 24/7.
CASB Board Presidents Listserv FAQ
What is a listserv?
A listserv is an Internet-based communication tool that distributes email messages to a specific group of people. It is especially useful for groups that share common interests and wish to receive or discuss information on a common topic or issue — like board presidents!
Who is it for?
This listserv provides a means for board presidents to connect with each other and helps CASB keep its finger on the pulse of our membership, identifying issues, concerns and possible topics at conferences to better serve you. Listserv members include board presidents, CASB board of directors and selected CASB staff.
What do I have to do to participate?
Absolutely nothing. Board presidents are automatically included in the listserv. One of the most useful features of listservs is subscribers don’t have to establish and maintain a lengthy list of email addresses for other members of the group. CASB maintains the list and one message can be sent to the entire group by simply entering a single address in your email program. Unlike regular email, a message sent via a listserv does not display or contain the email addresses of the recipients. This helps safeguard list members from "SPAMers" – people who send junk mail via the Internet by collecting email addresses.
How can I unsubscribe to the list?
We hope you find the listserv engaging and informative. However, you may unsubscribe to the Board Presidents Listserv any time by sending an email to email@example.com and type unsubscribe boardpresidents (don’t use quotation marks) in the body of the email. These instructions appear at the bottom of each listserv email.
What are the listserv rules?
CASB established “etiquette” rules governing membership in a listserv. In general, this protocol is intended to ensure that discussions are respectful and non-inflammatory. It is also designed to prohibit commercial messages and other abuses of the listserv. By participating in this CASB listserv, you agree to abide by these rules.
Are these messages private?
Regarding the content of messages: As noted above, only school board members and CASB staff are subscribed to post messages on the board presidents listserv. Keep in mind, however, there is no restriction on members forwarding a listserv message to others. Listserv messages are automatically archived for a period of time, and may be the subject of a public records request. Also, please keep in mind that emails/posts are considered a legal written communication and subject to open records requests.
Regarding email addresses: CASB’s goal is to safeguard members’ email addresses. One of the advantages of a message sent via listserv is that it does not contain or reveal the recipients’ email addresses. Listserv users, however, should be mindful that if you send an email to the listserv, or reply to a listserv email, the “From” area shows the sender’s email address.
Ask a question
The CASB Board Presidents Listserv is managed by Renee Combs at CASB. Please contact her if you need assistance.
Note: The CASB Board Presidents Listserv is available to school board presidents, CASB Board of Directors and CASB staff only. CASB established the following rules of etiquette for all listserv participants. Before participating in the listserv, please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important rules. If you have any questions, contact the listserv manager, Renee Combs.
CASB Board Presidents Listserv Rules of Etiquette
CASB reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership in the listserv for people who violate these rules. Listservs are provided as a CASB membership benefit, and CASB reserves the right to limit participation to members only.
Rules of Etiquette
- The listserv is an online discussion area for CASB members to share views and opinions on specific topics. Differences of opinion are welcome. Challenging or attacking others is not appropriate.
- Selling and marketing are not permitted, so do not post commercial messages. Feel free to discuss specific products or services, but remember that your comments are made in the public domain. As such, you are responsible for your comments just as if they were made in a live discussion or a printed publication.
- Posting defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials is strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the public to see or that you would not want them to know came from you.
- The listserv may not be used to support or oppose a candidate for public office or a ballot measure, or for other campaign-related purposes. An exception is that the listserv may be used to communicate an action by the CASB Board of Directors endorsing or opposing an education-related ballot measure.
- CASB staff members will join listservs and add to discussion when appropriate. However, this listserv is not a forum to ask general questions related to CASB. Please use CASB’s Contact us feature on our website to ask general questions.
- Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that it owns the copyright or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants CASB and users of the list the non-exclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print and use such information or other material.
- Remember that other listserv participants have the right to forward or reproduce messages sent via a listserv. Although CASB takes the normal precautions in securing its data system, CASB accepts no responsibility for the security or confidentiality of the content of email messages on its system. CASB cannot assure the longevity of electronic mail records for record-keeping purposes. Any messages that you choose to keep should be saved to your own computer.
- CASB assumes no responsibility for the transmission of viruses between members of its listservs. Participants are responsible for maintaining their own anti-virus software. Attachments to email messages are strongly discouraged in order to limit the transmission of computer viruses. Attachments also create severe slow downs on some user systems unable to handle the data volume created by attachments. CASB recommends that the text either be inserted in the email message, hyperlinks be provided for download, or participants be asked to contact the message sender directly to receive the attachment.
- When replying to a message, include only the parts of the previous message that are pertinent to your comment. When possible, delete the header information from the previous message to make the message easier to read. When replying to a question, include the original question or give some context to your remarks.
- When posting a message, please include your name and school district as a “signature.” Please be sure to clearly identify the topic of your message in the subject line.
Listservs are provided as a service of the Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB). CASB accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on the site by others. CASB is not liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on the site. CASB does not actively screen the listserv for inappropriate postings. However, CASB may remove any inappropriate posting that is brought to staff’s attention. CASB reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.